Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Pcr test

pcr test
7/13/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Please go ahead with your query

Hi Dr Saleem, i had a potential exposure, took PEP for 30 days and at 6 weeks post exposure, did a PCR test and it come back positive, i'm freaked out and i need help.How accurate is that result?

Well i am sorry to hear about that but PCR for HIV RNA has a diagnostic accuracy of about 98.99 % which is really quite high. Did you start PEP within 72 hrs of unprotected intervourse?

i did start pep with 72hrs. are my result conclusive now? positive

Yes i am sorry to say that but its like that ,its positive.

i don't need to do any further testing is that right? if i do have to, which tests would you recommend

Further tests include tests for CD4 cell counts which decrease alarmingly with time in HIV. Disease monitoring is usually done with the help of HIV viral load and CD4 cell counts periodically. You will need to see your doctor for advice on starting ART for HIV in future

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

HIV Duo test 4th generation negative, 3rd generation fingerprink Negative. PCR qualitative detected. What can you say about this kind of result. Pls advice

As i understand the 4th Generation test and 3rd Gen test were done at 6 weeks post exposure? Well it can take time for antibodies against HIV to form .Most HIV specialists consider this test to be conclusive at 6 weeks but official HIV testing guidelines still recommend re-testing at 12 weeks for conclusive results. Conclusive at 3 months post exposure.

PCR detects genetic material so its pretty accurate usually and detect the RNA pretty early post exposure so you need a retest with 4th gen test at 3 months post exposure for confirmation.

Hope it helped

the 4th Generation test and 3rd Gen test were done at 6 weeks post exposure? Can i do the PCR in a different lab or it won't make any difference? pls advice

As i mentioned PCR for HIV RNA is usually quite accurate ,i am afraid a retest would make no difference. However a retest 4th Generation test is recommended. For your own peace of mind you may get a repeat PCR but thats not medically indicated.

The PCR done was for HIV DNA not HIV RNA. So i should ask PCR for HIV RNA Please advice

Both are equally conclusive actually. If found positive PCR has an accuracy of about 98-99% .

Please do remember to reward credit for my work by clicking 5 stars.

Wishing you great health.

Kind regards.

Dr Saleem

according to South African testing standards, it says i should repeat the 4th generation test in 4 weeks. So this baffles me if the PCR has an accuracy of 98-99% why they recommend retesting again..

Yes thats what i recommended you too ,repeat 4th generation test, thats how HIV guidelines are. 4th Gen test detect both p24 antigen and HIV antibodies so thats the reason they recommend confirmation despite diagnostic accuracy of PCR

Second PCR came back negative.. i my clean and should move ahead with my life

Ohk thats great, happy for you. It must have been a lab quality error

Thank you again for the support, greatly appreciated. Now i'm moving on with my life

You are welcome.

Please do remember to reward credit by leaving a positive rating to my work.

Kind regards.

Dr Saleem.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor