Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've been fighting a sore throat and cough and congrestion

Customer Question
hi...I've been fighting a sore...
hi...I've been fighting a sore throat and cough and congrestion since monday
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: no fever this is the fourth day
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I can barely speak, i'm losing my voice
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
7/13/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 6 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How may I help you with this?

hi--i'd like advice on what to do next.
can you do an "exam" like I have done in the past with Doctor on Demand?
hello?

This isn't a telemedicine site

I can get information and give you a probable diagnosis and what to do about it but if you were thinking about a prescription we don't do that here

what happened to doctor on demand...? that's the website I started with and have used that in the past
okay so let's at least get me a probable diagnosis
then I can decide if it's worth going to a walk-in clinic

OK

If your cough is productive what color is the sputum?

And what does the back of your throat look like?

my symptoms are sore throat, coughing, congestion, for four days now. No stuffy nose, no fever. It's been getting worse every day. Bronchitis? Pneumonia?
it's is brown....but i'm drinking coffee. :( it hurts so badly to cough that I don't want to try that experiment again to see what color it is.
the back of my throat is red
vertical red welts to be more precise
when I called the nurse helpline she said to get MUcinex and take ibuprofen and gargle with salt water

Most likely then it's a viral bronchitis and the coughing has given you laryngitis

Usually that runs its course in about seven days

Unless there are white spots on the back of your throat it isn't likely strep

For now I'd suggest oral probiotics, vitamin C and plenty of liquids along with the nurse's suggestions

But if it goes on beyond seven days then you'd need the walk in clinic to get some antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

thank you

My pleasure

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor