Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have questions about birth control pills.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Please ask your questions regarding birth control pills.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have been taking birth control pills for a couple months but sometimes I miss the time that I take it so I've had irregular bleeding between the cycles or my period comes two weeks earlier than expected. Sometimes I have two periods per month while on the pill. But I've taken one daily. If I miss the time hat I take the pills, am I at risk for pregnancy?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If my periods are irregular and I have bleeding in between does that mean the birth control will not work as a contraceptive?
Thanks for this question,
Actually if you miss the time of taking your birth control pills then there is a slightly increased risk of development of pregnancy however that risk is very low risk. But the risk as i said is not very significant. Usually if you are having bleeding even while being on birth control pills that means that you need to get evaluated again with the help of a hormonal panel and also a transvaginal ultrasound to rule out any polyps or fibroid and an infection as well. This would be the best course of action.
However regarding your original question ideally you should be taking them at the same time however if you still take them on the same day the risk is mitigated. Usually the risk of developing pregnancy is much more if you miss the dose entirely.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I have sex while on the placebo pill week, is there a risk of pregnancy?
No the risk of pregnanvy is not present if you have sex during the placebo week.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today