Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I am 53 and haven't had my period for over a year. All off

Customer Question

I am 53 and haven't had my period for over a year. All off the sudden, I have some bleeding now similar to my period. Is it something I should be concerned about?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I have very slight craamp but feel very fine. Before it stoped, it has been irregular, like sometimes it came in 3 months sometimes in a month. That was before I started having hot flash. Before that, it was very regular.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, other than I had preeclampsia when I had my 2nd child. It was severe.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

No menses for a month generally mean menopause. So bleeding after menopause especually heavy is not normal. Possible causes of mild spotting include thinning of vaginal lining because of estrogen decline.

However if its profuse like in a period then causes such as a polyp or other abnormal growth/ tumour must be ruled out. Endometrial cancer is one of the sinister causes. You need a thorough gynecological exam to look for possible causes of postmenopausal bleed.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing