Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

What does two small foci of T2 FLAIR hyperintensity which

Customer Question

What does two small foci of T2 FLAIR hyperintensity which involve the left frontal white matter in subcortical locations mean?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: loss of appetite, nausea, headache, fatigue, pain in upper right abdomen, itchy skin, pale stool and frequent, had swallow lymph in neck by collar bone, pain after eatting
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: nausea is daily and headache is several times a month
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had a bad pap come back in Nov or Dec 2016. Symptoms started last year with bloating of the stomach (looked like I was 9 months pregnant, by I'm 52 and had an ablation 5 years ago). Blood work, CT scan of abdomen all come back normal. But doctors keep thinking its gallbladder even with HIDA scan at 80%. As time goes by new symptoms begin and it is getting worse.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hello. When was your MRI done? Do you have any earlier studies with which to compare?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2012 and today is a second to recheck. Is it of concern?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Normally, this type of finding is not a concern. It is very common over 50, and more common in those with risk factors such as hypertension, diabetes, smoking, vascular disease or migraines. They are usually incidental findings that do not explain the symptoms for which the study was done in the first place. You might want to have a radiologist compare your studies side to side to see if this is a new finding. It may have been there for years. If not, they are something that can be monitored but typically are not serious or worrisome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have hypertension, diabetes, vascular disease or migraines and do not smoke. The first MRI was done in 2012 due to a serious accident which I had a concussion. Since then I have had some confusion issues, mostly with trying to find the right word, forgetting names of individuals I have know for a very long time. And a weird one, in the middle of a conversation with someone they will start talking French, well that is what I hear and can only hear understand a couple of words. The other symptoms have started within the past year.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

It is possible that the small abnormalities noted on the most recent MRI are the result of microvascular trauma from your accident. That would mean it is not an ongoing process.

On the other hand, it is a common finding on MRI and often indicates a slowly progressive condition. Your lack of risk factors in this regard is a good sign.

It is hard to say in the meantime if these findings are related to your problems with words, names and speech. Subtle deficits can occur during head injury when the brain twists, causing shear injury to the long axons connecting neurons. This type of injury usually does not show up on MRI.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be happy to help further.

If you have no more questions, please provide a positive rating. This is the only way I get credit for the time spent helping you. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Our thread has closed, but it's not too late to do the right thing.

Hope all works out for the best. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com.