Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible for a UTI to 'kickstart' another Autoimmune…

Hi there Is it possible for...
Hi there
Is it possible for a UTI to 'kickstart' another Autoimmune condition?
I have lichen planus, had a UTI a few weeks ago and now having aches in my hips and groin.Is it possible the UTI kicked off another Autoimmune like Rheumatoid arthritis or lupus?Also, i was tested as low for Vitamin D.
Can a UTI deplete my stores of Vitamin D, or would this have been something I have had for a while?Thanks
7/10/2017
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I am a Consultant Rheumatologist and I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It is unlikely that a UTI has started a auto immune process like rheumatoid arthritis. Also the UTI is highly unlikely to have depleted your vitamin D stores. Sometime after a urinary tract infection a person can develop a reactive arthritis . This is something which needs to b ruled out

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you require any further clarification

If you are satisfied then do leave a POSITIVE RATING (preferably 5 stars) so that I may be credited for my work

Regards

DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your reply. This does give me comfort and I will discuss with my Doctor :)

you are welcome