Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Natural antihistamines. About seven days ago I walked

Natural antihistamines. About...

Natural antihistamines. About seven days ago I walked through a field with tall grass and weeds. The skin on my face, arms, lower legs, and feet started to burn the next day. My doctor prescribed over the counter drugs a couple of days ago but I can't stand side affects. I take anxiety, thyroid, and acid reflux medications. Online research suggest using garlic, basil, and thyme. Can I use these in replacement of Benadryl and how?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes heat makes it worse. when I get hot the skin turns a little red.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm currently dealing with bad acid reflux so stomach is not healthy

7/9/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Although anecdotal evidence exists that these things might help but i would recommend you to use either benadryl or cetirizine and apply topical hydrocortisone. Its better to avoid something new when you are already dealing with an allergic reaction. I hope that makes sense to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No just wanted to know if I could substitute

No i would not recommend that actually.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor