The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

What is the average testosterone for a 70 year old male,

Customer Question

what is the average testosterone for a 70 year old male
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: None my VA doctor is saying my level are too high. My free terstosterone is 16.9 . the range is 6.6 to 18.1
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: have a pacemaker, but I have been getting testosterone injection for ove 6 years.She is saying I'm using it for wieght lifting. I only started in Feb of this year
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also workout 5 days a week, walk about 5 miles a day. I eat as healthly as I can. try to be in bed around 9pm and back up about 6am. Use very little salt, Dont drink 27 years free. dont smoke 8 years free.
With my level being around 16.9. I feel great. I just won the NASA powersport National Champsonship.
She says I using the testtosterone as a helper to help me. I have been on testosterone for over 6 years. I didnt start competing till this Feb.. How can she say
When they cut my level back I bottom out in end up in the hospital.
Expert:  The Physician replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com.

I am an Emergency physician with over 25 years multi-disciplinary experience.

I am going to be your expert in this question.
Although the research on healthy testosterone levels has generally been scant up until now, it is agreed that normal male testosterone level peaks at about age 20, and then it slowly declines over years. However, active men can keep their testosterone fairly level by moderate exercise especially isometric exercises like weight lifting.

Your levels are in the top part of normal range, but what may happen if you continue the injections is unknown.

Testosterone levels above or below the normal range are considered by many to be out of balance. The key is to keep it balanced bearing in mind the risk: benefit ratio of excessive testosterone.

The side effects (though not as common, but possible) include side effects ranging from Prostate enlargement to hair loss, paradoxical impotence, a smaller penis, gynecomastia (breast enlargement), liver cancer.

If you are getting injections, the best way to keep it balanced would be in the frequency of injections especially now that you are also doing weights which by itself independently have been found to raise testosterone levels.

When the levels get to the high end of average, you reduce the frequency and Testosterone injection dosages can also be titrated. Discuss with your doctor and determine the safe balance for you, instead of complete withdrawal

Thank you for making it Justanswer.com.

Pleas remember to click the accept button and rate me before you close.

If there are any other clarification you would like, please let us know.