Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been experiencing symptoms for almost 2 months now of…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing symptoms...
I have been experiencing symptoms for almost 2 months now of possibly silent reflux. Haven't taken Prilosec yet as I am concerned about ending up with rebound acid. I have some questions regarding this. 1. One of the worst symptoms I get with this that comes and goes is this feeling of heaviness in the trachea area and neck. When I have this and exhale, I cough. I am not sure if fluid is in the airways, but it feels like this. My lungs are clear upon exam. When I read symptoms online, not much come up about this symptom. Have you heard of people complaining about pressure feeling like this? 2. I started taking 120 MG of Diltiazem ER for Tachycardia and blood pressure on Jan. 28, these symptoms started in May. My dr thinks maybe Diltiazem is causing these symptoms as it can relax smooth muscles. Would this side effect appear 3 months into the medication or would I have noticed it much earlier? Also going through menopause and I have read this can also trigger this issue. 3. How do I know if the Diltiazem is the culprit? My dr doesn't want me to switch meds, as I am med sensitive and this one I seem to tolerate well. Was on Altenolol and felt chest heaviness and constriction. 4. I feel like Prilosec wouldn't help short term if Diltiazem is the problem. It would just come back again. Not sure I want to start on another drug. What do you think?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
7/9/2017
Doctor: DocNid, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
DocNid
DocNid, Board Certified Physician

Thanks for posting in JA.

I am Dr.N and I am pleased to assist you

1. The pressure in the neck area due to reflux is called globus pharyngeus. It is a well recognized symptom of acid reflux

2. You would have noticed it much earlier

3. Worsening of acid reflux is very less likely with diltiazem.

4. Continue taking Diltiazem and you can take Zantac along with that.

this pressure or heaviness I am feeling is a little below the collar bone, maybe a little above, but the cough isn't the normal irritation seen with acid, it is more of a type of cough when I have a cold. Only seems to happen when I exhale. Is it possible acid is in my airways? Could I just take Zantac when symptoms are bad but not all of the time? Also I was reading that Zantac can cause heart to slow down and a drop in bp since it is a histamine blocker. Is this the case?

Yes, you can take Zantac when the symptoms are bad.

No drop in heart rate and BP are not commonly encountered side effects of Zantac

can Zantac also be taken for a few weeks just as Prilosec? Does Zantac cause less acid reduction than Prilosec? I am wanting to only take the one that is considered safest. Here is a link that I read relating to the low blood pressure: http://www.livestrong.com/article/240612-the-side-effects-of-ranitidine-150-mg-tablets/
can Zantac also be taken for a few weeks just as Prilosec? Does Zantac cause less acid reduction than Prilosec? I am wanting to only take the one that is considered safest. Here is a link that I read relating to the low blood pressure: http://www.livestrong.com/arti…

Yes Zantac can also be ta***** *****ke Prilosec for a few weeks.

Yes, Zantac causes less acid reduction than Prilosec.

Yes, though the link you have given mention about those side effects , they are not commonly encountered. I have not seen anyone so far developing those side effects

The reason I was concerned after reading the link is since I take Diltiazem that also lowers heart rate and blood pressure so I was worried about the combination of taking the 2 drugs together, but you don't think I should be concerned?
DocNid
DocNid
DocNid, Board Certified Physician