Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have shingles & want to know if I'm contagious as 3

Customer Question
I have shingles &...

I have shingles & want to know if I'm contagious as 3 toddler grandchildren are arriving Monday for a visit. My rash is confined to my abdomen from the belly button around the right side to the middle of my back. So far there are no blisters but some raised areas.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, I'm on Lyrica, 50 mg 3 x'x

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Yes, I'm on Lyrica, 50 mg 3 times a day.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm taking blood pressure meds, thyroid med.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/8/2017
Doctor: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Medicaldoctor

Welcome to justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to another person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles.

The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters caused by shingles.

If there are no blisters then the virus cannot spread so there is nothing be worried and you are NOT contagious.

I hope this helps.

Do let me know if you have any queries.

If done for now please leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left corner of this thread.

Thank you

Kind regards

You may have to scroll up and down to find the rating icon and you can rate by simply clicking on the stars.

Thank you