Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has crohns. He had to have an emergency appendectomy…

Customer Question
My son has crohns...
My son has crohns . He had to have an emergency appendectomy as well as resection of 10 inches of intestine as well as the valve . It's been 3 weeks since his surgery and he still has watery stool and weight loss . Any recommendations for treatments to try ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/4/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to hear that. Well corticosteroids remain the treatment of choice in Crohns . Appendicectomy tends to worsen Crohns sometimes . If corticosteroids do not improve the symptoms then other immunosuppressives like azathioprine, or ciclosporin can be added.( not used alone)

ASA compounds are less effective for acute attack of Crohns.

Sharing a link below ;

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg152/chapter/Recommendations

Sometimes following resection of terminal ileum, secretory diarrhea results so cholestyramine 2-4 g twice daily before meals helps.

Hope it was helpful.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing.