Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have questions about vitamin D synthesis. I am a 39

Hello. I have questions...
Hello. I have questions about vitamin D synthesis.I am a 39 year-old female, and have had over 50 skin biopsies so far, but all of the results have been negative for cancer so far. I have fair to medium skin, burn pretty easily and live in North Carolina, USA.Would you say that it's acceptable and safe to spend 20-30 minutes in the sun in a short-sleeve t-shirt and shorts between the hours of 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. two to three times a week from March through May and September through October but only 15-20 minutes in July and August when the sun in strongest? Would that exposure provide 10,000 IU of vitamin D?Will adequate exposure during the rest of the year will allow my body to 'stockpile' enough vitamin D to last me through the gray winter months? I am prescribed vitamin D3 by my general practitioner and directed to take 2,000 IU a day.One of my sources of information is the article on the link below.https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/vitamins/how-much-sun-exposure-for-vitamin-d/Thank you.
7/2/2017
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service.
As long as you do not burn, you should be fine. Many people will produce adequate vitamin D through brief periods of sun exposure. Some will produce inadequate amounts after significant exposure. If you stop taking vitamin D you should have your level rechecked in 6 months.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD