Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a safe testosterone supplement to take for guys…

Is there a safe...

Is there a safe testosterone supplement to take for guys over 50? I've been working out since I was 15, played baseball, football and still lift 6 days a week with intense workouts.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No nothing at all. Just always looking for an edge working out and in the bedroom

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father had prostate cancer, but his dad, my grandfather did not. My dad never exercised unfortunately and didn't have a good diet as hard as my mom tried to keep him on track. I've always taken vitamins and Whey protein isolate.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I have physicals twice a year and my doc says I look like I have the body of a 30 year old

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

No, not really.

Most of the supplements that claim to boost testosterone actually do not increase testosterone levels. However, any intervention that truly increases testosterone carries risks, particularly an increased risk for heart disease, but it also may promote growth of prostate cancer.

The current recommendation is that attempts to increase testosterone levels should be limited to men in whom a low level of testosterone is documented.

Thank you Dr Love, much appreciated.

You are very welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor