Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a 17 year old that is very clamy and states that just

Customer Question
before she was very hot...
I have a 17 year old that is very clamy and states that just before she was very hot and had like tunnel vision felt like she was going to pass out. temp 96.6 pale and clamy.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: she is on birth control no other meds. no doc yet
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: penicillian.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she had an episode like this about 3 years ago. she lost vision and passed out. but she layed down for about an hour and she was fine. So that's what I told her to do lay down and rest
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
6/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. im sorry to hear about your 17 year old. The fact that she is cold and clammy which was preceded by possibly a fever means that she could be suffering from an infection. It is possible that she could have a viral or bacterial infection which is causing the problem. This would be easily diagnosed on a clinical examination as well as blood tests.

Biut since she has had an episode like this in the past as well, i would also consider other possibilities as well. The first one which i would like to rule out would be a heart issue. Irregular heart rhythms like arrhythmias can lead to changes in body temperature, as well as dizziness, lightheadedness, tunnel vision, palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating among other symptoms. These issyues can occur even in 17 years olds because of genetic issues. This would need to be diagnosed with the help of a EKG, echocardiogram and also a 24 hour holter monitor test as well. The 24 hour holter monitor would be diagnostic here as it would monitor the heart for a full 24 hours. Once diagnosed it can be treated with medications.

Another cause of this would be associated with the thyroid gland which can cause these sort of symptoms intermittently. This would be easily diagnosed with the help of a simple thyroid function test.

Lastly this can also be due to vasovagal syncope which can cause sudden drop in blood pressure in many patients. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple tilt table test and then can be treated with various medications.

I would suggest that you DO ask her to rest and elevate the legs and at the same time increase the intake of fluids but do get her evaluated for the above conditions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor