Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have pain under my right rib cage mostly hurts sharply

Customer Question

Hi I have pain under my right rib cage mostly hurts sharply when I hold in urine then let it out. Because of the pain, it makes it difficult to pee. I mostly hold it in my urine when I sleep and when I want to get up in the middle of the night or early morning to pee, it hurts extremely. this pain started a few days ago. What is it and what can I do?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: After i pee, it slowly lightens up the pain but it still hurts regularity and makes it difficult to breathe
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My dad has diabetes. There's nothing else I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

This can be hydronephrosis which means swelling of the kidney due to back pressure. An ultrasound with a full bladder can diagnose it. The other helpful investigations is a CT scan and intravenous pyelography.

The other possibilities to look for are;

1) A kidney stone.

2) A chronic urinary tract infection.

3) A ureteric reflux (reflux of urine from bladder to kidney)

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.