Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Three days without bowel movement, what should I do to help?

Customer Question

three days without bowel movement, what should I do to help ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No meds and have not seen doc yet.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: do not take any meds, very sensitive to all drugs.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 86 years old ,reasonable active.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now constipation is commonly due to a number of different causes however the most common one is lack of fiber or lack of water in your diet. However if the constipation is also accompanied by other symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal distension or abdominal tenderness then this can be due to a condition like intestinal obstruction. In that case you would need to see a doctor in the ER or urgent care center.

Now if you dont have any of the other symptoms then you can try the following measures,

• Increase the intake of plain water
  • Increase the intake of dietary fiber
  • Increase the intake of supplemental fiber which would include benefiber or metamucil
  • try using OTC stool softners like docusate sodium
  • If that does not work then use OTC laxatives like miralax
  • while using the above, supplement their use with Glycerine suppositries which can be inserted into the rectum
  • If none of the above work then you would need to get an enema which should relieve the constipation

If the enema does not work, then you would need to go to the ER and get this evaluated and possibly get a xray of the abdomen done and if necessary get the feces manually removed from the rectum in case of stool impaction.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/