How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6412
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im having a horrible deep pain above my right cheek and it

Customer Question

Im having a horrible deep pain above my right butt cheek and it is radiating midline to my lowerback its horribly painful
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Heat is better standing walking bending hurts the worst
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I haved 2 acf surgeries ddd torn disc in l4 l5 and 2 disc herniations in the lower back close to l1 l2 and somewhere down in that area another herniated discs so im used to some pain but this one is bad to the point i can barely touch it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.


Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed compression of the nerves in the spinal cord or even compression of part of the spinal cord itself. The severity of the pain indicates that you could developed worsening of the herniation in the discs which is now causing compression of the nerves leaving the spinal cord which would explain the severe pain in the buttocks and back region. If this is the case then you will need an immediate MRI to determine the diagnosis which can be followed by steroid injections into the spine to reduce the inflammation and control the pain. At the same time if you are also experiencing numbness, tingling or weakness/paralysis in one of the legs or loss of control of the bladder then that is an immediate indication for emergency surgery.

But apart from the steroid injections, you can be started on strong painkillers to control the pain as well along with muscle relaxants. right now i would suggest starting OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 800 mg thrice daily along with OTC tylenol at a dose of 1 g thrice daily,. This can be supplemented by heat over the area for 10-15 minutes at a time upto 4-5 times a day. Also apply OTC capsiacin gel in the area as well. But given the severity of the pain i think you will need medications like percocet along with flexeril or tinazidne. At the same time your doctor can start you on TENS therapy to control the pain as well or even consider radiofrequency ablation if the problem is that severe.

But right now try the above measures along with increasing the intake of plain water and electrolyte rich fluids to counter any possible muscle spasms in the area and if that does not help then proceed to urgent care or the ER for a complete evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,