Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have had tinnitus for as as I can remember. It never

I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It never bothered me much. But recently it is starting to interfere with my hearing. But more than that, I "hear" music, parts of music, music I've never heard before and worst of all, REPETITIVE - small parts over and over and over. It is not at all like having a song stuck in your head. It often keeps me from focusing on a task and paying attention during a conversation. Neurology sent me to psychiatrist (he didn't want to see me any more, presumably because I know that it is not really there.) Could this be some form of tinnitus? Many of the meds I take have tinnitus as a possible side effect. This is really bothering me! Do you have any suggestions?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Did you consult an ENT specialist for the tinnitus? Was any hearing test done? What was the result? What treatment was suggested?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had written a lengthy response but somehow I lost it. I'm just going to see an otolaryngologist and go from there.

Dear customer,

I am sorry that you had to face this internet error. Consulting an otolaryngologist and having hearing tests done is the first step in evaluating the cause for the tinnitus. Based on the cause further management can be planned.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About the internet error, it is what it is. Thank you. If you have the opportunity this week, you could send me a reminder to making an appointment. The really strange thing is that in my left ear I feel like I have exceptional hearing. Ever since I was a little girl - I would cry when a loud noise was present. I have to put my hands on my ears when I flush the toilet at a fast food place. When I have migraine, I can hear sounds in the house that no one else can hear- like a fan on in another room or a clock ticking. Sounds like this have always bothered me

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

This is most definitely due to a hearing abnormality. With audiometry test we can know the possible cause. You must have this test done. Please fix an appointment with an ENT specialist.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I will.

You are welcome!!

Hopefully this will lead to relief of tinnitus.

Take care.

Dear customer,

Did you have the examination done?

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an appointment with the otolaryngologist on Wednesday. I was talking to a friend about tinnitus. She has been to see an ear doctor and now where's hearing aids. Her doctor told her that tinnitus is not in your ears but in your brain so that concerns me. I will rate after I see the otolaryngologist on Wednesday feel free to remind me

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Only rarely is the cause due to a brain disorder. More commonly it is due to an ear issue. Please do not worry regarding this very rare cause.

Take care.

Dear customer,

Did you consult your doctor?

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had to reschedule.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying and sharing the update.