Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had a history of hypernatrmic events... for many

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hello. What seems to...
Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have had a long history of hypernatrmic events... for many years. I know this is the case because I constantly am peeing massive quantities of water when I get neurological issues whenever I have salty foods and no water .... I got a dehydration test done many years ago and even though my ADH was fairly low at the end of it they said it was inconclusive for diabetes insipidus I got a dehydration test done many years ago and even though my ADH was fairly low at the end of it they said it was inconclusive for diabetes insipidus
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: For some reason it actually went away for a couple years I'm not sure why For some reason it actually went away for a couple years I'm not sure why
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: But now it has come back and in the past few weeks I have had many events where I know I am hypernatremic But now it has come back and in the past few weeks I have had many events where I know I am hypernatremic
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
I'm only sending the second message because I was not fully finished with what my question was before it was submitted . My question is not what do I have .. as I am pretty sure I have an issue with my ADH secretion or diabetes insipidus . what I am extremely concerned about is if frequent small episodes of hypernatremia that for the most part are corrected within a couple hours occur multiple times a week ... can this give me permanent brain damage. After each time I get hypernatremic I feel depressed unmotivated have sexual dysfunction .. etc... typically it always goes away after I rehydrate and sometimes it takes a few days to return to normal ... but I am worried that this time it will not go back because I had 3 to 4 small events this week. All within a few days time . Thanks.
6/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 5 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

frequent small episodes of hypernatremia would not cause brain damage.

you don't have to worry about this.

i'm so sensitive now I know exactly when it is occurring it's hard to Splaine but basically if perfect functioning is on one and and stupor is on the other when the hyper natremia starts I start to move slowly towards stupor and even though I never get there , I get symptoms like becoming not as talkative I don't register things as quickly and in general just not myself . So although this is not complete confusion and seizures it affects my brain and I am left afterwards depressed and without the ability to have sexual function .... like I said typically goes away but I have a bad feeling this time . I just don't know how much of that the brain can handle even though it is somewhat mild

your brain can handle these episodes without problems

work on cutting down your salt intake.

Family Physician, Doctor