Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have had a history of hypernatrmic events... for many

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have had a long history of hypernatrmic events... for many years. I know this is the case because I constantly am peeing massive quantities of water when I get neurological issues whenever I have salty foods and no water .... I got a dehydration test done many years ago and even though my ADH was fairly low at the end of it they said it was inconclusive for diabetes insipidus I got a dehydration test done many years ago and even though my ADH was fairly low at the end of it they said it was inconclusive for diabetes insipidus
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: For some reason it actually went away for a couple years I'm not sure why For some reason it actually went away for a couple years I'm not sure why
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: But now it has come back and in the past few weeks I have had many events where I know I am hypernatremic But now it has come back and in the past few weeks I have had many events where I know I am hypernatremic
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm only sending the second message because I was not fully finished with what my question was before it was submitted . My question is not what do I have .. as I am pretty sure I have an issue with my ADH secretion or diabetes insipidus . what I am extremely concerned about is if frequent small episodes of hypernatremia that for the most part are corrected within a couple hours occur multiple times a week ... can this give me permanent brain damage. After each time I get hypernatremic I feel depressed unmotivated have sexual dysfunction .. etc... typically it always goes away after I rehydrate and sometimes it takes a few days to return to normal ... but I am worried that this time it will not go back because I had 3 to 4 small events this week. All within a few days time . Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

frequent small episodes of hypernatremia would not cause brain damage.

you don't have to worry about this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i'm so sensitive now I know exactly when it is occurring it's hard to Splaine but basically if perfect functioning is on one and and stupor is on the other when the hyper natremia starts I start to move slowly towards stupor and even though I never get there , I get symptoms like becoming not as talkative I don't register things as quickly and in general just not myself . So although this is not complete confusion and seizures it affects my brain and I am left afterwards depressed and without the ability to have sexual function .... like I said typically goes away but I have a bad feeling this time . I just don't know how much of that the brain can handle even though it is somewhat mild
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

your brain can handle these episodes without problems

work on cutting down your salt intake.