Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have a sharp pain in the back of my head all of a sudden,

Customer Question

I have a sharp pain in the back of my head all of a sudden
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: It just happened but for the past few weeks I have had weird headaches no nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Diabetes
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age and gender?

How much duration did the headache last or is it still persisting?

Do you have high blood pressure?

Was there any other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, weakness in limbs, slurring of speech?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
38 woman, It started this morning and off and on hurts in the back of my head towards the left. I don't normally have high blood pressure but sporadically it goes up and down. No other symptoms but I felt weak walking and my face felt weak a bit but not anymore. But pain still persists.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Following are the suggested treatment for chronic tension headache;

1) Acupuncture

2) Mild massage

3) Correct posture of neck during working.

4) Relaxation technique like meditation.

5) Stretching exercises

6) Occipital blocks

7) Electrical stimulation

8) Therapeutic ultrasound

9) Hot/cold packs

10) Medications;

Dihydroergotamine

Reglan

Phenargan

Codeine

Oxycodone

Butalbital

Aspirin

Tylenol.

Having said that, you need an evaluation by your doctor because of diabetes, your fluctuating blood pressure, and weakness in face and during walking.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.