Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Since yesterday early afternoon, experiencing floor of the

Customer Question
Hi, since yesterday early afternoon...
Hi, since yesterday early afternoon , experiencing floor of the middle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, chills, heat, and for teaching experiencing floor of the middle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, chills, heat, and fatigue . What do I have?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Since yesterday early afternoon , pain remains the same constant lower abdominal pain with Diarrhea . No more vomiting
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Overall healthy 43 year old female . Went to lunch yesterday for birthday . I had fish . A couple hours later all these symptoms surface . Took mylanta twice . No relief . Drank a can half of ginger ale , nothing else to drink or eat . Very weak and in pain
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to heart about your symptoms. The first thing which comes to mind is that you could have developed an infection of the intestines. This is known as gastroenteritis, which can be both viral or bacterial in nature. In your case if the diarrhea also contains blood or mucus then it is more likely to be bacterial in nature. It is very likely that you may have acquired the bacteria from the fish that you ate and if this is the case then you would need to be treated with antibiotics in most cases. In the meantime you will need to increase the intake of lain water and electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade or pedialyte to replenish the lost electrolytes, IF you cant take anything orally try using OTC dramamine or benadryl or cyclizine to control the vomiting and once the vomiting is controlled then start using as much fluids as you can. The key is to stay hydrated here and if you STILL cant take anything orally despite using the medications then you will need to head to the ER or urgent care center to get IV fluids especially if you have dizzziness, lightheadednes, sweating, extreme weakness, sunken eyes etc.

Secondly, In addition to the above medications you will ALSO need antibiotics given that you have severe abdominal pain and it is advisable to visit your doctor or visit urgent care for this purpose.

Once the vomiting is controlled, you should then shift to the BRATY diet which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and yogurt which is more easily tolerated by the infected intestines.

But you DO need evaluation especially if you have the additional symptoms or even tenderness on touching or pressing down on the abdomen.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor