Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have a sore spot that just developed on the inside of my

Customer Question

I have a sore spot that just developed on the inside of my left calf, after a feeling of slight cramping in the same spot (felt like a very slight charley horse -- but very mild.) The soreness can be felt when I press on it (like a small bruise), and the feeling of very slight cramping comes back, mostly when I'm sitting. This began about 24 hours ago -- does it sound like I should worry? I've taken 3 ibuprofen during this time, and for much of the time, it doesn't bother me -- but it's worrisome. What do you think?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Doctor will figure it out. How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It's only been 24 hours, and it's intermittent. Rubbing it and walking helps. Sitting still seems to let it continue.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm 61, female, have Diabetes, I do swim, but I do have a desk job in an office. I try to move around a lot, but there is a lot of sitting in the job.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

New, persistent leg pain certainly warrants a visit to your doctor for evaluation. Leg pain can have many causes, but your description of aching after prolonged sitting suggests a possible buildup of fluid in the leg veins (venous congestion).

Venous congestion occurs when the valves in your leg veins don't work properly to keep blood moving efficiently from your legs to your heart. Instead, blood pools in your legs and feet, causing pain and swelling. The pain is typically described as a burning or cramping sensation, mainly in the calf.

Past inflammation of a vein (phlebitis) may damage the valves and lead to venous congestion. Poor function of the valves in the leg veins also contributes to varicose veins — distended veins visible just beneath the skin. Varicose veins also may lead to venous congestion.

Wearing knee-high support hose may be worth a try to ease discomfort associated with fluid buildup in the legs..

It would definitely need closer examination to rule out anything more serious like a clot in leg / DVT.

hope it was useful.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing.