Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Ggtp @81 pt/ptt normalsgot 43/ 77 yo fatty liver for 20 yrs

Customer Question

ggtp @81 pt/ptt normalsgot 43/ 77 yo fatty liver for 20 yrs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Let me at the outset tell you that a single liver investigation like GGT being elevated with rest of all liver function tests being normal, there is all the chance that it is not denoting any significant medical issue and your liver is likely to be normal. The liver function tests are interpreted in conjunction with all blood test together with medical imaging studies. Collectively only they can give a diagnosis. Just a solitary raised investigation do not point or predict an illness. These point would clear your doubts:

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Liver gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) can be raised by:

1) alcohol,
2) phenytoin,
3) barbiturates, and
4) warfarin.

Clinically, its main utility is suggesting a liver source for an elevated alkaline phosphatase.

It has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.