Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been trying to get rid of an oral bacterial infection

Customer Question

Good Morning,
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have been trying to get rid of an oral bacterial infection for a while. I was recently diagnosed w periodontal disease and received gum therapy surgery. I was given a 10 day script for 500 my of metronidazole but this did not clear up the white coating and yeast on my tongue. 500-125 mg of Augmentin cleared it, but the infection resurfaced.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I took the Augmentin 8 years ago, but seems that research recommends that metronidazole and augmentin be taken concurrently to wipe out PD infections. What dosage would you recommend? Is the extended release more effective for Augmentin. Seems taking the 2 concurrently prevents resistance.
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am not allergic to any meds. I recently started taking 2 10 mg capsules of Amphetamine salts ER daily for ADHD.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there can be many types of oral infections.

gum infections tend to be bacterial and so treatments with antibiotics such as metronidazole, augmentin, peridex antibiotic oral rinses, salt water rinses can help.

white thick coating on the tongue which can be scraped off by a tongue depressor tends to be a sign of a fungal infection which would need an antifungal treatment like nystatin swish and swallow or diflucan or fluconizole.

just a white colored tongue does not mean you have a thrush tongue fungal infection.

a white colored tongue can be from mouth breathing, dried saliva, poor appetite, lack of nutrients in the diet and other causes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been on several of the 'azoles' as well as Nystatin. The only medication that cleared up the coating/odor has been Augmentin. I was prescribed 500-125 at 1 every 12 hours. A quantity of 28 was provided in my prescription. After a month, the infection & coating resurfaced. After several rounds of diflucan and nystatin suspension...it appears to be bacterial. I do not have any STDs, so my recent diagnosis of periodontal disease seemed to make sense. I know that sugars are not good for me to consume because they feed off bacteria. Should I stay away from dairy also?

you could have a stomach H Pylori bacterial infection which could possibly be affecting your tongue

you should be tested for this.

there are blood antibody tests and stool antigen tests to check for H Pylori bacterial infections

dairy and lactose tends to cause gas and diarrhea symptoms if people don't have lactase enzymes in their bowels to help break down lactose diary sugar.

gargling with salt water is a safe fast way to help fight bacteria in the mouth as well