Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My main pulmonary artery is 4cm is that normal

Customer Question
JA: Have you seen a...
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the upper limit of the pulmonary artery size is around 3.3 cm, this is the upper limit of the size. In your case the size is increased which may be indicative of raised pressure inside the pulmonary artery, this can occur in patients who have been smokers, or exposed to pollutants over the course of several years. It can also be raised in cases of COPD. However at the same time you can have a condition like primary pulmonary hypertension.

However to simply answer your question, the size is elevated and the next step here is to get an echocardiogram done to estimate the pulmonary artery pressure which may be followed by a cardiac catheterization procedure to measure the exact pressure.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Is it life treating? my doctor didn't say it was something to worry about. I had a real bad case of bronchitis and the doctor ordered a Ct scan of my chest to see if it was clear and that came up

NO it is not life threatening, problems would arise ONLY if the pulmonary artery pressure is elevated to a severe level and if there is no increased pulmonary artery pressure then there is no issue with this size of the pulmonary artery pressure.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor