Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have bad accidents and want to know if i should be wearing

Customer Question

i have bad accidents and want to know if i should be wearing adult diapers if i have both problems
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: tamsaloseon and a patch
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Do you have feces (stool) and urine incontinence?

What is your age and gender?

What are the investigations and treatment done?

Wearing adult diapers would be recommended.

Following investigations are needed for identifying the cause;

1) Endoanal ultrasound,

2) MRI,

3) Defecography,

4) Anorectal manometry

5) Anorectal electrophysiology testing.

6) Video urodynamics

The treatment entails;

1) Biofeedback; Pelvic floor exercises with biofeedback are beneficial when combined with the addition of dietary modifications. Biofeedback educates regarding pelvic floor coordination, recognition of sensory thresholds, and conditioning of the pelvic musculature, and it helps develop improved pelvic floor habits.

2) Dietary modification: a food diary may be useful to detect offensive items, such as citrus or spicy foods, caffeine, and alcohol, that may be associated with incontinence. Avoiding these may decrease the irritant load to the rectum.

3) Medications; The two most commonly used drugs are loperamide and diphenoxylate with atropine. Loperamide is currently the treatment of choice because it not only thickens the stool but also has been shown to increase anal sphincter tone and improve continence mechanisms.

4) Anal sphincteroplasty; it is a surgical procedure and is done when the above medical treatment fails and if the injury of the sphincter of anus is demonstrated.

5) Artificial sphincters

6) Sacral nerve stimulation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.