Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've been having pain that radiates up my chest, arms, neck,

Customer Question

Hi. I've been having pain that radiates up my chest, arms, neck, and jaw. However, this has happened in the past and nothing happened. I'm also not having any other symptoms of a heart attack. I went to the ER last year with these same symptoms and they found nothing. Do you think I need to be concerned? I really don't want to spend $1000 again at the ER if I don't have to.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No shortness of breath,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No pressure No I'm very healthy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age and gender?

How severe is your pain?

Do you have any of these risk factors:

1) stress and sedentary life style

2) peripheral vascular disease (claudication); pain in calves on walking,

3) previous stroke or family history of stroke,

4) heavy smoking,

5) high blood pressure,

6) diabetes,

7) high cholesterol, and

8) a family history of heart disease

9) over weight

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Age 50. Female. I'd rate the pain a 6 on scale 1-10 but it was a 7 earlier. It went away for about an hour then came back.
1). Yes to stress - divorce, grad student , finances . Not physically active at this time
2). No
3). Grandfather stroke
4). No smoking
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. Aunts and uncles
9. Not overweight
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't afford $50 right now please just text me

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 4-5 minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thanks. I still have pain in my back and jaw and chest. I've had this before and went to the ER last year, they found nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just not sure what it is. I'll follow up with my Dr just don't know if I should go to ER.

I can understand the cost but my suggestion would be to go to urgent care which would be less expensive and get an EKG. Meanwhile take an aspirin if you have or an Ibuprofen.

The chance of it being heart related is low but these symptoms need an evaluation at least by an EKG.

We need high index of suspicion for these kind of pain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I feel achy now and wonder if it could be strained muscles ..?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any possibility it could be muscle strain?

This can be muscle strain or pinched nerves in back.

Esophageal spasm, severe acid reflux and esophagitis too can cause the similar pain.

Clinically it is difficult to distinguish between them and thus investigations are needed.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.