Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My friend has a viral infection in the inner ear that

Customer Question
Hi. My friend has a...
Hi. My friend has a viral infection in the inner ear that started last Friday. Nausea started three days ago. Vomiting two days ago. Visited a doctor and got anti nausea and dizziness medication. They work for one day but symptoms are getting worse. She can't sit up and has not been able to eat for two days and can't keep down water. Should we take her to a medical centre.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No to both
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

This should be treated by;

1) vestibular suppressants,
2) antiviral medication,
3) antiemetic medications
4) steroids.

So she need to be taken to a medical center for these prescription medications and investigations like blood work and vestibular tests.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

She is currently using APO-procglorperazine and APO- betahistine

She may also require cinnarizine and an anti viral medication.

These together would help in an early recovery.

Following are the investigations which will confirm the diagnosis;

1) audiometry,
2) vestibular tests.

The most commonly performed vestibular tests are as follows:

Electronystagmography (ENG)The rotating-chair test, also referred to as sinusoidal harmonic acceleration (SHA), Computerized dynamic posturography (CDP).
3) blood tests for autoimmune disorders,
4) computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5) The saccadic test
6) The gaze test
7) Pursuit eye movements test
8) Optokinetic Nystagmus test
9) Head shake nystagmus test.
10) Positional nystagmus testing
11) Bithermal calorie test.
12) Rotating chair test.

13) An alternative to the rotating-chair test is the active head-rotation test,

14) Computerized dynamic posturography

An ENT specialist and a neurologist with a Rehab specialist in tandem are involved in the investigative work up and care.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor