Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My father, myself and sister all have, or had I should say.

Father died from suicide last...
My father, myself and sister all have, or had I should say. Father died from suicide last year, partly due to pain he could get no resolve to. Pain can be so intense it can drop us to our knees. Gall bladder out of the question. Anything to do with female organs ,,well Dad wouldn't have had it and sis and I - hysterectomies. It DOES feel less an ovarian cyst but I have no ovaries obviously. When it's at it's severest, a light touch to stomach is painful. Sis and dad had colonoscopy. I've had kidney stones often. This is not a similar pain
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: For all 3 of us,,,there is nothing we eat, do, placement of the moon, nothing that is a cause and effect. We have all been to our Drs. to no avail.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Sisters belly swells @1 inch. I notice no swelling, and don't know if Dad did or not.
6/13/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these bad abdominal pains

who old are you?

do you have occasional constipation or hard stools?

you could be suffering from severe diverticulosis pain where small bits of hard stool or partiallyl digested food get caught in the bowel wall and this causes severe abdominal pains which can come on suddenly and go suddenly as well.

a colonoscopy can look on the inside of your colon and check for weak pouches in the colon wall which can cause diverticulosis pains

I'm 57. Sister is 52 and dad was 79. Did you see in my initial description That all 3 of us have experienced the exact pain, and one of my son's in his 20 s is beginning to. My movements are fine.

you could all have had diverticulosis bowel issues which can turn into diverticulitis if the diverticulosis gets infected which can cause severe pain.

I asked you about constipation and hard stools?

the way to prevent diverticulosis is to eat much much more fiber in your diet to bulk up your stools to avoid small hard constipation stools.

have you ever had a colonoscopy before? you should get one after age 50.

Sis and dad have had colonoscopy and found nothing. Sis and I are questioning if we inherited some familial oddity,,or deformity if you prefer. I would be quite surprised if father, 2 daughters and a grandson all have diverticulitis. It is not a bowel issue as I have no issue with that. I hated to spend the money and was hoping for a long shot that someone would delve into possibilities other than the all too frequent bowel answer. In our many visits to ER for Xtreme pain, the docs have​ not been remiss in getting pics taken to check for constipation or blockage. Dad suffered so greatly he couldn't leave his home in fear of the unexpected belly ache. For an 80 year old man, it was too much for him to bear, hence the suicide. I was looking for an answer.

diverticulosis can often be missed on xrays of the abdomen or CT scans of the abdomen as well.

I would be happy to review your sisters colonoscopy report.

do you have constipation symptoms? passing hard stools? small pebble stools?

some patients can develop excessive scar tissue or adhesions in the bowels which can cause severe abdominal pains

these adhesions can be worse in patients who have had prior abdominal surgeries before, but can also occur in patients who have never had abdominal surgery.

severe abdominal adhesions can cause partial or complete small bowel obstruction and can cause severe abdominal pains and even vomiting.

Ok. Thanks
let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician