Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Second opinion] Need to know what is safe lebe;l my husand

Customer Question

Second opinion] Need to know what is safe lebe;l my husand oxygen level is down to 91 or 92 is this safe or does he need supplement oxybJA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?Customer: He had heart attach then double bypass surgery and we came up to our home which is at 8000 ft and seems he is tired and I checked his oxygen he is talJA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?Customer: king mmetropol, metformin lisinipril and levimairJA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?Customer: He has told Dr all this nothing in family history of this I just want to know if 91 or 92 is safe oxygen or do I ned get him in emgcy for supplement oxygen
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband. Actually 91 or 92% is a safe level of oxygenation, as long as the oxygenation stays above 90% the organs would stay adequately perfused and he should not suffer from any significant harm. However if at the same time he is getting short of breath , has difficulty breathing, is short of breath on walking even a short distance or also has shortness of breath on lying down then he should be re evaluated in the hospital or even get supplemental oxygen. It is not the actual level of the pxygen which is more important but rather the symptoms that he suffering from at the same time. That is why if he has any of the above symptoms at oxygen levels of 91 or 92 then he should be evaluated and started on oxygen along with other medications, however if he does not have any of the above symptoms then we can observe him carefully over the next few hours.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.