Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My dad has swelling, fluid build up, and pain in his right

Customer Question

My dad has swelling, fluid build up, and pain in his right calf. He also has non stop muscle spasms that almost look like something is moving around inside his leg. He was taking something prescribed that got rid of the swelling and everything, but when he finished the meds, the problem came back again. He can barely walk and is in immense pain. They've ran many tests too. Mri, ct, full blood panel, and ever thing is negative. No blood clots etc.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: He's not taking anythin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your dad

that is good he has had some testing.

he should get an doppler ultrasound and angiogram study of the blood vessels of the leg.

if he is of advanced age, he could be having narrowing of blood vessels leading into the leg called arterial stenosis which can cause claudication circulation pain. sometimes these blood vessels can be widened by an angioplasty procedure or stent procedure.

medications such as Trental (pentoxifylline) can help blood vessels become more flexible and go through smaller blood vessels.

he may have to see a vascular surgeon doctor for more specific blood vessel tests.

also he should get blood tests for creatinine kinase to check for muscle inflammation or myositis in his calf muscles

let me know if you have questions