Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Second opinion] [Second opinion] MY MRI showed a fibroma on…

second opinion] [Second opinion] MY...
second opinion] [Second opinion] MY MRI showed a fibroma on my plantar faciitis tendon--what is treatment for this?
6/1/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Actually a plantar fibroma is a benign nodule that grows on the bottom of the foot and usually appears in the second through sixth decade of life. It is usually slow growing and measures less than an inch in size. More invasive, rapid-growing and multi-planar fibromas are considered plantar fibromatosis.

Now there are some non surgical treatments which are available which can include, anti-inflammatory medication, orthotics, and physical therapy or Transdermal Verapamil 15% Gel. Other modalities have included methotrexate and radiation. However the definitive treatment is with the use of surgery which would help in eliminating the problem in most cases.

So basically if the non surgical treatments dont work then the best option that you have is to go for surgery which may be curative in this condition. The recovery time for surgery varies between 1-2 months in most cases but that can vary according to the amount of tissue removed during surgery. The smaller the amount, the quicker you recover.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 8mm in size. I've had 4 cortisone shots, wearing orthos, and a boot. It's extremely painful. So probably surgery?

Yes in this scenario, i think surgery is the next viable option, topical calcium channel blocker gel may be tried but i think surgery is the most effective and proven option which should be tried here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Saw my doc have to have an MRI with gadolinium

He wants to see if the fibroma is mature enough to undergo surgery, if the fibroma is mature it will show up on the contrast enhanced MRI and then the timing would be ideal for surgery to be done.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it normal for one day for my foot to hurt and the next day it doesn't? It keeps doing this

Yes this kind of pain can occur with plantar fibromas and the pain can disappear as well. It is common with plantar fibromas.

do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does it mean it's gone for good? Do they just go away on their own

No that doesnt mean that it has disappeared, it just means that the pain has settled down as part of the normal course of the disease, it will flare up again at some time. Usually this would occur when the compression on the fibroma is decreased

Dr. Muneeb Ali