Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

77 yr. old woman, in generally good health, hypertension

controlled well, has had continuous...
77 yr. old woman, in generally good health, hypertension controlled well, has had continuous nausea for 3 months. In April, I spent 1 week in the hospital with a partial obstruction of the small bowel. Have been nauseated since early March. Have vomited occasionally. Had MRI and CAT scans while in hospital. Had sonogram last week. Dr is talking about opening me up without knowing what is going on and looking for problem. I hate to do that.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: Yes to history. Had a pretty thorough check up in the hospital.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: A gal stone was found, but they didn't think it was my problem.
5/27/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have had such bad nausea and partial bowel obstruction

prior abdominal surgery can put scar tissue around your small bowel and cause this nausea and partial bowel obstruction

your surgeon wants to go in and look for scar tissue and cut it out. this is called a lysis of adhesions procedure

scar tissue and adhesions around your small bowel don't show up on MRI or CT scans of your abdomen.

Ok. I had complete hysterectomy in 1996. That has been my only surgery.

I see.

that surgery could have been enough to cause some scar tissue around your small bowel and cause partial bowel obstruction.

won't this procedure cause more adhesions?

surgery itself yes, can cause more scar tissue down the line.

but if the scar tissue is bad now and the partial bowel obstruction is bad now, then it is sometime worth it to do the surgery.

thank you

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician