Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Cough 1) over 2 weeks 2) no chest pain 3) no sinusitis 4) no…

Cough1) over 2 weeks 2) no...
Cough1) over 2 weeks
2) no chest pain
3) no sinusitis
4) no fever
5) no lethargy
6) not on any drugs- only magnesium supplement
7) otherwise completely healthy
8) yellow mucus in the middle of night and morning
9) white maybe a little yellow throughout the day
10) no weezing other than needing to cough up something
11) only waking up 1 time throughout the night to cough a few times
12) didn't stem from cold or virus per se......i had cleaned my garage with a ton of dust a little over 2 weeks ago.
13) I have seasonal allergies but nothing crazy right now
14) not blatantly noticeable post nasal drip
15) not from GerdCould this be fungal in nature? I'm only taking throat lozenges and nighttime suppressant. I'm not really bothered by it except the tickle in the throat annoyance and duration is a little scary. I know docs are quick to prescribe antibiotics. Thoughts on what this is from?
5/22/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

This cough can be due to allergy or even with the mild post nasal drip that you are having. This is very much unlikely to be due to a fungal infection without any associated symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath, or fever. Post nasal drip down the throat, can cause a tickle, and this irritation may trigger a cough with mucous.
You should drink more fluids to thin out secretions, this will make the mucus secretions to pass more easily. Similarly, substances that dehydrate the body such as alcohol and caffeine should be avoided.
Avoid irritants such as cigarette smoke and sudden changes in temperature.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do i need to look out for before considering going to see the doctor to rule out anything more serious? What does a doctor need to see prior to handing out a script of antibiotics?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

You should look out for symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath, increase in severity of cough, disabling cough, wheezing, sore throat, chest pain, blood in sputum, increase in mucus secretions, or thick mucus. If there are any of these symptoms you should consult your doctor.

Antibiotic is given when a bacterial infection is suspected, such as when there is fever, difficulty in swallowing, inflammation and white exudate on the tonsil or throat; or swollen lymph nodes; or increased respiratory rate, or abnormal lung sounds.

Take care.

Thank you.

Dear customer,

Do you have any more questions?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think he may have heard a tiny bit of wheezing in the middle of the night until I coughed which concerned me. But other than for that nothing during the day and it was only one time. Sounds to me like it's more of a severity of symptoms issue as opposed to longevity of the cough at this point .....when assessing to go to the doctor or not. Thanks

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Consulting a doctor is required only if the cough is severe and with accompanying symptoms. Mild cough which is not disabling is not concerning.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor