Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My HIV medication has been changed from STRIBILD to

TRIUMEQ....my question is, does changing...
My HIV medication has been changed from STRIBILD to TRIUMEQ....my question is, does changing the medication take time to build up in your system before it takes effect? Or will the medicine work effectively immediately? Should I expect the viral load to rise and/or the CD4 count to go down in the period between stopping the Stribild and the Triumeq taking effect? Would I be at greater risk of getting infections in the interim?
5/22/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

stribild contains 4 medications: elvitegravir, cobicistat, emtricitabine, tenofovir

triumeq contains 3 meds: abacavir, dolutegravir, lamivudine

your new medications should start to work on the virus soon to bring down your viral load and bring up your CD4 count.

how much time are you allowing between the medications?

you shouldn't be at more risk of infections in the medication transition.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. There is no gap in taking the medication. Both are one pill a day. Took last Stribild Thursday & started Triumeq Friday.

your viral load should go down and your CD4 should come back up

there is no increased risks for infection.

you don't have to worry.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician