Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have symptoms of acute prostatitis and took doxycycline…

I have symptoms of acute...
I have symptoms of acute prostatitis and took doxycycline for 8 days. Not much help. Urogram and urine culture were normal.
MD put me on Levaquin. After 4 days I have blepharitis and now skin sloughing on penis with itching. Same happened last time on levaquin. My symptoms are 80% better. Can I restart doxycycline or keflex as septra makes me sick.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/21/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Yes, you can

both would be acceptable

is this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how long should I take doxycycline 100 mg How would you know my prostatitis is infective or inflammatory or both

I generally will prescribe it for 4-6 weeks

That is long enough

if it persists after that then it is probably inflammatory

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I just stop levaquin after 4 doses and start doxycycline the next day

yes you can

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is saw palmetto helpful?

It can be. yes.

It can reduce the size and inflammation of the prostate

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor