Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I just saw bright red blood on my stool. Not in my stool.

I just saw bright red blood on my stool. Not in my stool. And a little more when I wiped. I've been constipated for several days- which happens when I'm very stressed. I am a recovering hypochondriac and I'm sure this is a simple hemorrhoid or fissure - which I've had plenty of history with. In fact my whole family gets them. No family history of IBD or cancer.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Has this ever happened before?

Any pain with your bowel movement?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's happened before once or twice when I've had an external hemorrhoid. There has been burning when I poop recently. And I went earlier today and the stool was dry.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I've been having my usual IBS symptoms recently because work has been crazy.

OK

Most times this is from a hemorrhoid and unless there was a lot of pain it wouldn't likely be a fissure

That's nothing worrisome but I have to tell anybody in this situation they have to see their doctor to make sure it is just from a hemorroid and nothing else like a polyp or inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got it. I must ask, though: isn't it exceedingly rare for a person my age with no family history of colon cancer to have polyps?

Very rare, yes but not unheard of

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gotcha. One more and then I'll let you go: most IBD cases have diarrhea as a main symptom and not constipation, correct?

More often than not, but there is also IBS/C--IBS with constipation

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, thank you for the advice Doc.

My pleasure and call on me anytime