Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My daughter is 14 years old. She gets the gamma globulin

Customer Question

my daughter is 14 years old. She gets the gamma globulin shot every 3 weeks because of her IGG is around 550-635. This number did not improve in the past 8 years based on annual test. I wonder if Gamma Globulin shot can really help her to boost her? also if there's other way to improve her immune?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: She got sick very easily when she was little. Once her doctor found the IGG was low, she starts receiving the shots. She does not get sick so often since. But we are not sure the function of these shots.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She also has allergy problem and is taking allergy shots too. Except IGG, other numbers are IGA ~99; IGM 131; IGE 13 based on latest result.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

gamma globulin shots should only be used in patients with a known blood and immune system disorder

getting sick very frequently and having "low" IgG levels is not enough to require IgG shots.

she should see an immunology and allergy doctor to check her immune system.

she may need a bone marrow biopsy to check on the cells of her bone marrow to check on her immune system.

she should wash her hands frequently like before meals and after using the bathroom to prevent infections.

let me know if you have questions.

what other questions do you have?