Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm a 27 year old female that can see and feel my stomach

Customer Question
Hi. I'm a 27 year...
Hi. I'm a 27 year old female that can see and feel my stomach pulsing while laying down. Could this be a AAA. I don't smoke or have a history of AAA. My blood pressure is also.normal
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: About 4 months. I'm also off balance.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been treated for a sinus infection as of late.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
5/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

The abdominal aorta is a pulsatile structure and in thin people can be seen pulsing. It can usually be easily felt as well. This would be normal in most individuals your age. An AAA does not usually form until much later in life and is strongly associated with hypertension. That said, there are some unusual conditions that tend to run in families and are associated with abnormalities of the abdominal aorta. If you have no such family history and are otherwise in good health, this is very unlikely. I would suggest you make a regular appointment with your family doctor for an examination. An AAA can be easily ruled out in most cases. If your exam is equivocal in any way, your doctor can order an ultrasound or CT scan, both of which show the large abdominal blood vessels very well.

Hi Kelly. Do you have any follow up questions?

Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to help further.

If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Best wishes. God bless.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor