Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I had my gallbladder removed last year due to constant pain

Hi!
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I had my gallbladder removed last year due to constant pain under right ribcage. The pain never went away. Last weekend I was out with friends drinking and I suddenly became in excuciating pain and couldn't breathe It was like a gallbladder attack but way worse. Could this be a problem with my liver or pancreas? The doctors had run tests and said everything was fine
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Going on a few years. There's typically a dull pain constantly and when I push up under my ribs. After I had my gallbladder removed too much alcohol or coffee will cause the excuciating pain. Upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound all normal. Hide scan showed a slowed gallbladder so they removed it. Starting to think it wasn't my gallbladder
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I recently found out I have a large cyst the size of a clementine on my right ovary. I also had a history of alcoholism due to anxiety which I believe caused the pain to begin with. My doctors however have said my liver test came back fine I believe that's it. Also my excessive drinking was more than a year ago, I drink every few weeks sometimes every couple months

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age?

Were you tested for Helicobacter pylori?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm 27 female. Daily heavy drink for about 4 years. Pain began under ribcage when I was about 25. No I was not tested for that as far as I know. The upper endoscopy showed acid reflux

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

A test for Helicobacter pylori would indicate peptic ulcer which if very tiny or episodic may be missed in endoscopy. That will need a course of antibiotic and acid blockers. The other possibilities of the diagnosis would be;

1) Esophagitis or esophageal spasm.

2) Acid reflux of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

3) Chronic pancreatitis, which may not show on the blood tests and need MRI and MRCP for the diagnosis.

All these above can be concomitant.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much youve been very helpful!

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.