Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a friend who injects methamphetamines. As she is

I have a friend who...
I have a friend who injects methamphetamines.
As she is running out of veins in other parts of her body, she has recently started injecting in her legs.
Since she started injecting in her legs, when she occasionally misses a shot, the resulting miss sometimes gets severely inflamed.
I am kind of known to many as an at-home healer. So, I have seen these wounds, up-close-and-personal, at various stages.
Whenever she misses a shot, I have instructed her to always apply pressure to the site, immediately. Once the bleeding has stopped, I instructed her to tape a slice of potato on the area after applying some calendula and comfrey salve. This always alleviates any resulting bruising and inflammation.From there, it appears that there are two distinct paths that her missed shots can take...1) It can turn into an area of stiff, sometimes warm, mildly tender inflammation. This sometimes leaves behind a lump of scar tissue.OR2) If there is a flat, discolored spot, similar to a blood-blister afterwards, that's when I know that we are in for a complicated healing process. At that point, I know of nothing else that we can do for her until the "blister" "pops". By the time this happens, a lump of inflammation has formed under the "blister". I should point out that the "blister" never "pops" like one would expect a blister to "pop". Instead it gets abraded away.
After it is open, it's a matter of controlling the exudate and keeping the wound clean. This is done by cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide at the start of every bandage change. Then we pack the wound with honey and turmeric and gauze. Then covering it all with adhesive dressing.
Sometimes the wound heals in a few weeks, other times it takes a few months.My question is:
How do I prevent the second type of sound from progressing beyond the blood-blister-looking stage? At the beginning of that stage there is not even a lump underneath it.What can I use to draw the toxins out and prevent the ugly and slow healing process that results from the deeper wounds?
Answered in 7 days by:
5/24/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your friend.

we have no idea what is inside of those needles which she is injecting into her skin and veins.

she could have bacteria or foreign material or contaminants which she is trying to inject into her body.

the body often will form granulation tissue around areas of foreign materials

the blisters can be from bacterial infections she is injecting

there really is no way to prevent these blood blisters.

you should try to help her seek help to try to stop using meth

that would be the best thing for your friend.

let me know if you have questions.

Thanks, ***** *****!
Believe me, I have advised ​her to quit.
However, my approach is one of harm reduction. So, I work with people on their level.
Right now, her choice is to use.
So, I can help insure that she uses a clean syringe every puncture (at least while I am present) and I can make sure that she prepares her solution in the safest way possible (I showed her how to properly use a cotton and educated her on the necessity of ALWAYS using one). As well as ALWAYS wiping the injection site with isopropyl alcohol prior to attempting an injection.Those measures (coupled with the fact that methamphetamines, unlike heroin or cocaine, is a chemically hostile environment for bacteria to survive in) severely reduce any chance of these blisters being caused by bacterial infections or foreign materials.
Just the day before yesterday, we discovered that if she rubs the blister really hard immediately after she misses, she can reduce the size of the resulting blister, if not make it altogether disappear...Do you think that it could be a chemical burn of some ilk?Why do you think that rubbing the blister makes it disappear?

yes, it could be due to chemical burn of the meth chemical in the soft tissue.

we often call this subcutanious infiltration, like when an IV infusion infiltrates into the soft tissues.

rubbing the area can help disperse the meth into different tissue layers to prevent blistering.

icing the area with an ice pack wrapped in a towel after she misses can help decrease inflammation in the area

she can rub the area as well can help.

try to get her to eat more protein and fruits and vegetables. her body needs these nutrients to heal from her drug use and injections.

it sounds like you are trying to help her as best as possible.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

What are your thoughts on the honey and turmeric solution that we have been using on her?
Do you know of any other natural substances that might aid with her healing process?

try to use manuka honey if you can find it.

I order mine from www.manukahoneyusa.com

but it can be expensive.

cook the tumeric for her to eat in indian food which would be better for her .

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician