The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

I'm unable to hold anything down after breakfast. I have

Customer Question

I'm unable to hold anything down after breakfast. I have bloating, excessive gas, and pain in my right middle abdomen next to the navel. When I lie down and press on it. When I sat down in a chair after eating, I have shortness of breath. And my stomach is extended.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: Yes and for awhile. I've been experiencing this problem for over a year now. It has gotten worse. Yes I do vomit after every meal except for breakfast. I can feel a knot or a mass in that middle abdomen area where the pain is.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  The Physician replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JA,

I am an Emergency Physician,

You seem to have a form of Gastric outlet obstruction, and the commonest os called Pyloric stenosis. This is usually a progressive illness that starts with 'gas' or dyspepsia over year, the acid erode the wall of the outflow valve of the stomach called the pyloric sphincter. Then with repeated cycle of healing and erosion it scars and begin to block the outflow. After eating the stomach dilates and start pressing on the diaphragm causing difficulty breathing.

Patients present with intermittent symptoms that progress until obstruction is complete. Vomiting is the cardinal symptom. Initially, patients may demonstrate better tolerance to liquids than solid food. In a later stage, patients may develop significant weight loss due to poor caloric intake.

The best way to diagnose this is by a Barium meal xray, which is taken after you drink a radio-opaque substance and xray is taken to see how it flows. A CT scn ultimately may determine the details

Meanwhile, your provider should prescribe a PPI like Nexium, or Lanzoperazole, and you should limit your diet to small mounts at frequent intervals, especially semi-solid/liquid diets.

It is IMPORTANT that you get a Gastro-entrology referal urgently

Hello, just checking if you are alright. I realize you did not acknowledge the answer on the system. Pease click on the accept button and you can rate the answer. Thanks