Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My wife feels dizzy and light headed. I tried to check her

Customer Question

my wife feels dizzy and light headed. I tried to check her blood pressure but the reading goes to only 70 or 80 and quites. the same for each arm
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: her blood sugar is 122. she woke up this way. she hs complained in the past of being lite headed. She has had a heart eval including a chemical stress and everything ws fine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she is diabetic and has high blood pressure
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your wife's symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you wife is hypotensive which means that she has a very low blood pressure. The fact that she is dizzy and lightheaded also means that this low blood pressure is significant in that she is not getting enough blood supply to the brain leading to the symptoms. In severe cases she can also lose consciousness or even have seizures. That is why whenever the blood pressure is this low, 70 or 80 with the lower reading not audible then you should IMMEDIATELY take her to the ER, There are numerous reasons for the low BP. These can include a low grade infection which has built up to such an extent that now it is affecting the blood pressure. Another cause can be dehydration which can also cause such a low blood pressure. Even if she had a completely normal heart evaluation, it is possible that she is having an abnormal heart beat which would not be picked up on a chemical stress test.

But regardless of the cause you should IMMEDIATELY have her evaluated in the ER as soon as possible. This low blood pressure MUST be managed with Iv fluids and medications especially since she is having symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/