How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46347
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am experiencing a "bunged-up" feeling in both ears

Customer Question

I am experiencing a "bunged-up " feeling in both ears although my GP has checked and reported no visible blockage. I have heard of a condotion called "glue ear" .Is this it and how do I treat it?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: The symptoms have continud for about 2-3 months . It was not consistent withe duration of a recent heavy cold.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Glue ear is a common childhood condition where the middle ear becomes filled with fluid.

The medical term for glue ear is otitis media with effusion

your doctors would be able to see fluid behind your ear drum if you had an inner ear infection with effusion.

you may need to take allergy medications to help clear up sinuses which can be congested which can keep fluid in your inner ear.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What medications should I take?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

you can use over the counter Allegra (fexofenedine) 180mg for allergies or Claritin (loratadine) or Zyrtec (cetirizine)

and also a steroid nasal spray like Nasocort (triamcinolone nasal), Rhinocort (budesonide nasal)

these can be used for spring allergies to help clear up sinuses and help you breath better

you can also try to help drain fluid out of your inner ear by yawning and thrusting your lower jaw forward at the same time. this helps open up your eustachian tube which drains fluid from your ear into your sinuses.

it can take a bit of practice.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using