Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is the prognosis for someone with pulmonary

Customer Question
hypertension/ JA: When was last time...
what is the prognosis for someone with pulmonary hypertension/
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: 3 weeks ago. Yes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: my father died from a stroke at 86, grandmother had hypertension but died from natural causes at 92
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
5/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the prognosis for pulmonary hypertension depends on the severity of the condition and the type of hypertension that a patient has, for example if the patient has idopathic primary pulmonary hypertension then that is a progressive disease which has a survival rate of approximately 50-60% 5 years after diagnosis. However this number varies according to the severity of the disease as well as the time at which the diagnosis was made, if the diagnosis was made when the disease was just starting off then the prognosis is better as the progression can be halted. However if the disease is far advanced then the prognosis would be poor.

On the other hand if the hypertension is due to an underlying lung disease such as lung fibroiss or COPD then treating the underlying problem would halt the progression and in that case the prognosis is much better as compared to the primary form. Secondary pulmonary hypertension has a much better survival rate and usually does not progress that much as the underlying disease is usually controlled effectively.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor