Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm trying to get info on traveling through western states

Customer Question

I'm trying to get info on traveling through western states high altitudes . I have AFIB and am on blood thinner Eliquis.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Good. I'm on Micardis, Metoprolol and eliquis. Is it safe to travel extensively in the rocky mountain high elevation?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been to the ER twice in the last 2 years with elevated, eratic heart rate. 18 months a part.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

At high altitude the oxygen content in the air is lower than normal. This makes your heart work harder than usual.With atrial fibrillation, the risk of heart failure increases in high altitude. Hence extensive travel may be considered little risky. However, adequate rest in between the ascending the heights, usually 48 hours rest, may be beneficial. Please be compliant with your medications. And if you develop chest pain, shortness of breath, or eratic heart rate, please do not hesitate to visit local ER.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/