Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My feet stay swollen and will turn purple. If I put them up

Customer Question

My feet stay swollen and will turn purple. If I put them up they tend to turn back a normal color. I'm 25 and this has been going on for a few years so I'm concerned.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries. I'd say it was first brought to me attention in 2013 but I didn't think anything of it but it has gotten worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No not that I'm aware of
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Your symptoms of swollen feet with purple color and tend to turn back normal color on elevation is suggestive of incompetent veins (also called varicose veins). This occur because of the valves not functioning properly and there is a stagnation of the blood flow. A colored doppler study is the choice of investigation to diagnose it.

Wearing Stockinette during standing and walking is advised for the treatment. Radiofrequency ablation and endovenous laser are the non invasive surgical options.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.