Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is ketamine approved for treatment resistant depression? I

Customer Question

Is ketamine approved for treatment resistant depression?
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I have tried ECT and TMS and much psychotherapy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have used many antidepressants without any effect.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now ketamine is NOT yet approbved for treatment of depression by the FDA, however that being said initial studies are showing promising results BUT it is still far off being approved particularly for this use. There are clinical trials underway which are indicating that it may be beneficial in the use of refractory depression such as your case. But at the same time so far it cannot be prescribed for this purpose as the FDA has not approved it. It is possible that FDA will be approved for use in this situation in the near future once the results of ongoing trials come in.

But to simply answer your question NO it is not an approved treatment for resistant depression at the moment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.