Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Do I put the syringe on the blue valve.My father is 90 came

Customer Question

Do I put the syringe on the blue valve.My father is 90 came home 2days ago I think I'might doing something incorrectly because the bag doesn'the seem to be filling with urine and there'should pressure in the lower abdomen and bleeding from
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: Omithine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Two Days
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sounds like your father has a foley catheter in his penis into his bladder which is suppose to drain urine.

the catheter should be conntected to a urine collection bag.

the syringe through the blue valve inflates or deflates a balloon which helps keep the tip of the foley cathter in the bladder. you should not mess with this.

the foley catheter could be blocked or crusted up

you should have him see a nurse or doctor who can try to irrigate or flush the foley cathter.

if this doesn't work. they may need to change the foley cathter to a new one if it is old

let me know if you have questions.