Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I bruise very easily and what could be a some bump ends up

Customer Question

I bruise very easily and what could be a some bump ends up with large purple bruise I have seen my doctor and all my blood counts are fine is there something I can be taking for a supplement that may help
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Excellent !
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope no issues in my health or my family health and I am not on blood thinners and if I need to take anything for pain I will use Tylenol because there is no aspirin in them and i understand that could also cause the bruising
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

You can consider taking Vitamin C everyday.

This is termed as Ecchymoses (bruise). This usually develop with or without noticeable trauma and do not spread into deeper tissues. This can occur due to the structural abnormalities of the small blood vessels called as capillaries, which break even with the slightest of the injury. This can occur due to the age, scurvy, steroid-induced purpura, small vessel vasculitis, and purpura associated with the presence of paraproteins. Aspirin may also be responsible which can increase the bleeding time, but this is ruled out in your case. The diagnosis is based on the investigations. Though, with the possible exception of a prolonged bleeding time, screening tests are usually normal in patients with bleeding disorders related to vascular abnormalities (ecchymoses / bruising). Taking Vitamin C or eating citrus fruits or fresh juices may help.

The investigations done are;

1) platelet count,

2) bleeding time (BT),

3) prothrombin time (PT),

4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),

5) thrombin time (TT)

6) peripheral blood smear,

7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;

8) platelet release assays,

9) coagulation factor assays,

10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing

11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.

Your PCP can get them done. An initial screening can be done by the first 5 or 6 tests which would give very definitive clue to the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you ! guess it's on to Vitamin C and see how that works - would you recommend a tanning bed to toughen the skin

You are very welcome.

You may try tanning bad, though chance of it helping is not too high.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/